Highlights of Article
5th May 2023 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
We had just dealt with the solar eclipse and another eclipse is going to happen again. That too within fifteen days span i.e. on May 5, 2023, a lunar eclipse that is chandra grahan is going to happen. May 5 is Buddha Purnima also called as Vaishakh Purnima. Buddha Purnima is the birthday of Mahatma Buddha and at the same time Satyanarayan ji, Lakshmi Mata and Chandra Dev are worshiped on the day of Vaishakh Purnima. But the lunar eclipse is about to happen during this time, so how will the moon god be worshipped?
Eclipses affect pregnant women and the unborn child more. So in this article you get all the information about this lunar eclipse which is going to happen on 5th May 2023. What kind of eclipse is going to happen, what will be its timings, where will this eclipse be seen and whether pregnant women have to take any precautions or not.
How lunar eclipse happens
Whether it is a lunar eclipse or a solar eclipse, it is known for its negative effects on humans and primarily pregnant women and their babies in womb. During lunar eclipse, the Earth comes right in between the Moon and the Sun and the Sun’s light that is falling on the Moon is cut off by the Earth and thus a lunar eclipse occurs. So when such an event happens, the color of the moon either turns red, or orange or brown or disappears completely. So when such an eclipse occurs, it spreads polluted waves in the atmosphere. And in such a situation, pregnant women especially get its negative effect as per religious beliefs.
Timings of eclipse
If we talk about the India timings(IST) of this eclipse, then this eclipse will start at 8:45 PM in the evening and this eclipse is going to continue till 1:00 AM in the night. The maximum intensity will at 10:52 PM. So it falls on two dates that is from 5th May Till 6th May. This eclipse is going to last for a total of 4 hours and 15 minutes.
|5 MAY 2023
|1:00 AM (6 MAY 2023)
Sutak period of eclipse
The Sutak Period that is Sutak Kaal of lunar eclipse starts nine hours before the starting time of lunar eclipse. During sutak period, worship and any auspicious work is to be postponed. But this eclipse is not going to be visible from any part of India. This will be a penumbral lunar eclipse and so Sutak Kaal will not be valid. Therefore, it will not have any negative effect on the auspicious work or the work of worship or any new work that you are going to do during this time.
Visibility around globe
As told, it will not be visible in India, this eclipse is going to be visible in Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, Pacific, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Antarctica.
So as this penumbral eclipse is not visible in India, if you are living in India, you may not need to do anything extra. However if you are at a place where this eclipse is visible then do take these extra care. Also there is no harm in taking precautions irrespective of your location to pacify yourself. So overall the eclipse is going to take place at quarter to nine in the night and by this time almost people have had their dinner.
Steps and measures during pregnancy
- Remain inside home at a place where there is no rays or light of the eclipse. Put on the curtains on the windows as well.
- If you usually have your dinner late at night, then at least on the night of May 5, on the day of the eclipse, kindly have your dinner a little early i.e. till 8:30 PM.
- Put holi basil leaves that is tulsi leaves in all leftover edible items and also in water. If you feel hungry at night such things are safe to eat/drink where tulsi leaves are added before start time of eclipse.
- Temples to remain closed during eclipse. Do not touch even idols of god and goddess. Cover your in-house temple as well. No worship is allowed this time. Pregnant women may chant mantras during an eclipse but not at temple. Chanting mantras brings good results to pregnant women. You must read Hanuman Chalisa during lunar eclipse, in addition to this, if the text of Vishnu Sahastra is recited then it is very fruitful for you. During this time, you can recite Aditya Hridaya Srot, Vishnu Ashtakshari mantra and also chant Panchakshari mantras. These chants give very good results during lunar eclipse.
- During eclipse pregnant women should not use any pointed or sharp things like knife, scissors, needle, nails etc. Don’t think that you would do sewing-knitting, cut vegetables, embroidery to pass the time. Stay away from these pointed and sharp objects.
- Now the question that bothers pregnant women the most is whether they can sleep or not during an eclipse. Sleeping is considered a taboo during eclipse. You may rest, you can lie down but you should not sleep during eclipse hours. Pregnant women whose pregnancy is bit complicated can take sleep during this time, rest otherwise if your pregnancy is healthy then you should not sleep during eclipse time. So during this time you may read some religious books, listen to music or you can watch any good movie etc. to while away the time.
- Keep a coconut with you during eclipse. This is said to protect you from harmful radiations of the eclipse. After eclipse you may dispose it off in river or bury it underground.
- After eclipse, pregnant women should take shower and change the cloths as well. Sprinkle holi ganga water on you and all around the home. This will purify everything and nullify the negative effect of eclipse. You may now cook fresh food in case there is need to eat something.
Hope this article must have been helpful for you. Kindly subscribe to garbhgyan.com for more such articles on pregnancy. Thanks.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is based on assumptions and information only. It is important to mention here that garbhgyan.com does not confirm any kind of recognition, information. Before implementing any information or belief, consult the relevant expert.
lunar eclipse 20 april 2023 india timing and pregnancy precautions
Chandra Grahan 20 April 2023 – India Timings and Sutak Kaal, What Pregnant Women Should Do and Should not do.
Chandragrahan 2023 , chandra grahan 2023, grahan 2023, grahan 5 May, Eclipse 2023, Lunar Eclipse 2023, Chandra grahan 2023, Lunar eclipse 2023, grahan2023, GRAHAN2023, 2023ग्रहण, 2023 ग्रहण, ग्रहण 2023, ग्रहण2023, grehan, grhan , grhn grahen, garhan, garhan 2023, garahan, garhn, grehen, pregnancy and lunar eclipse, chand, chand grahan